Tuesday 22 March 2011

New shoes

When my wife asked me today morning what I dreamt about in the night I  answered "about new shoes" and it wasn't just an excuse :)
After the last 10k race when for the first time in a long time I run so many kilometres on asphalt feeling how my knees hurt I decided that if I am to run 2 half marathons on asphalt I seriously need new running footwear. I wanted to have at least 2 trainings in new shoes before start in Warsaw so I begun my search right away.

Kalenji Kiprun CT

I still weight around 100 kg (need size 48 and am a bit flat-footed) so finding good running shoes is not easy. I checked their website, placed a quick call and drove to Decathlon where despite seemingly large choice I had to choose between 2 models. Kalenji Kiprun CT (especially designed for runner with weight over 80 kg) and ASICS GT 2160. The later cost 50% more so I was expecting to buy Kalenji. Still I couldn't buy shoes in which I plan running hundreds of kilometres without trying them on.

I tried Kalenji first and immediately felt how worn are my old Nikes. The amortization was so much better! I run a bit and decided that cushioning of the heel is excellent. Than it was time to try ASICS.

ASICS GT-2160
I run a short distance and I felt a big difference. Was it possible that it was just my impression caused by the brand and price? I changed shoes again and this time run a longer distance in Kiprun CT, than the same distance in GT-2160. Both pairs felt comfortable, had good cushioning, etc. But it was unmistakable, the experience of running in ASICS was so much better! I tried both pairs a few more times thinking if the difference was really worth the extra price.

Than I remembered how often I thought about this vicious circle: I'm overweight - if I want to loose weight I need to run a lot but at the same time I'm overweight so it's very easy to injure myself when I run a lot. Will I really remember the difference in price in a month from now? 5 minutes before closing time I put Kipruns back on a shelf and went to the register.

I simply cannot wait for my today's run :D



1 comment:

  1. Hmm is anyone else having problems with the images on this blog loading?
    I'm trying to determine if its a problem on my end or if it's the blog.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    my blog post: printable diaper coupons

    ReplyDelete